Sunday, January 27, 2013

To Catch a Predator


My goal for this week was a simple one: get the doors on my dollhouse to stay closed.



This task shot to the top of my to-do list for one reason and one reason only:

The Standard Sized Qubeley.
               

In the one week since I have started my miniature work, this little guy has developed a hunger that can only be satisfied by EATING MY MINIATURES.  I originally had a chair propped up to keep the doors closed,  but my cat activated his boneless powers and used the chair to pop open the doors and pull out just about anything he wanted (see diagram below)

I don't know where his bones go.

So, I had to put a stop to his fun ASAP.  As you know from my last post, my attempt to use magnets to shut the door ended in failure, but I figured that my problem could be solved by simply adding more magnets!  Which meant only one thing:

Ohhhhhhh yeah!


Make sure to wear proper safety gear when Dremeling (because sawdust under a contact lens is something you let happen once.  ONCE.)   The hat functions as a hairnet, keeps my head warm, and makes me look like a low budget Bond Villainess.  

Before the Dremeling.  You can see the original larger magnet I installed around the second stair.

 
 
After the Dremeling
The magnet installation on the opposite door. 


I actually went to the hardware store specifically to pick up Dremel router bits to make magnet installation easier, so I flew through installing the additional magnets pretty quickly ("quickly" meaning under two hours while I was waiting for the glue holding the magnets in place to dry).  While waiting for the glue to dry I started to plan out where my wiring in my different rooms will go once my super awesome wiring kit arrives.

Cir-Kit Deluxe Wiring Kit-Up To 64 Bulbs
I can't believe this nonsense costs $160

  I figured that sockets are usually around a foot off the ground, so I found a book and pencil combination that let me draw a 1 inch line across the foot of every room (my dollhouse is 1/12 scale, so 1 foot = 1 inch.  I'm 6 feet tall, so a scale model of me would be 6 inches tall).  The upstairs bathroom is the only room that deviates from this.  I instead placed the line 3 1/2 inches high to simulate the height of a bathroom sink.  So that'll be oh so much fun to rig up later.  


The book I used is actually my dollhouse planning journal!  It was truly meant to be!

I also took the time to plan out furniture placement and where I'll run wires up to the higher floors.


The results of my day's work.  Doors closed, minis safe, and 6 magnet installed.

Next post will most likely be about my adventures in wiring.  May God have mercy on my Junction Splicing. 




  

1 comment: